CRN considered the opportunity to develop better church engagement with Refugee Week (running in 2019 between 17–23 June) and how CTBI’s support of Churches of Sanctuary could feed into this and existing plans for the first annual Windrush Day on 22 June.
The 16 participants had the chance to meet Richard Reddie, CTBI’s new director of Justice and Inclusion. Amongst the news and updates shared around the table, CRN heard about:
- the 90 Quaker meetings signed up to the Sanctuary Everywhere Manifesto;
- Welcome Churches’ latest work and training;
- Christian Aid’s Uprooted exhibition which can be hosted by local churches;
- USPG’s concerns about overcrowding on Greek islands and chaplaincy work in Calais;
- a new resource that will be developed to enable churches to provide reciprocal hospitality for refugees (with a focus on leadership, lament, and young people’s participation);
- community sponsorship projects across the UK;
- the Lift the Ban campaign.